Having good relationships is important for most people. When there are problems in relationships it can have an impact on people’s lives. If you are experiencing problems in any of your relationships, it can be helpful to seek psychology relationship counselling
Relationships – Issues Experienced by Couples
The following are common problems that impact on the relationships of couples. Do any of these apply to you?
- Do you feel that you and your partner are distant, or that your relationship is stagnant?
- Do you feel that your partner does not nurture the relationship, or make you a priority?
- Do you feel that there is an imbalance of power?
- Do you feel that you are always ‘giving in’ to keep the peace, or to maintain the relationship?
- Do you feel that you are not spending sufficient time together or doing enough together as a couple?
- Are you in a relationship where your partner is emotionally unavailable and ‘not there’ for you?
- Do you have frequent arguments?
- Do you find it difficult to reach a satisfactory resolution when there is conflict?
- Are you having difficulties expressing how you feel and what you need in your relationship?
- When you do express your needs, do you feel that your message is not being heard?
- Do you feel you have lost your own identity in the relationship?
- Are you in an unhappy relationship and finding it hard to leave due to a fear of hurting the other, a fear of being alone, a fear of the unknown, or for other reasons?
Relationships – Issues Experienced by People
The following are common difficulties that people face in their relationships with others. Do any of these apply to you?
- Do you have difficulty in forming satisfying relationships?
- Do you struggle to communicate effectively?
- Do you seek to please people and avoid expressing what you really want and feel?
- Do you have a fear of rejection?
- Do you have a fear of intimacy or making a commitment, and either avoid people or push people away?
- Do you have a history of repeatedly becoming involved with controlling, or emotionally detached people?
- Are you always looking for approval and finding it difficult to make decisions based on what is in your best interests?
- Are you self-critical and feel unworthy of having loving relationships?
With substantial experience in the area of relationships, we can help you to achieve more satisfying relationships. Treatment is provided in a safe and supportive way, utilising a range of therapeutic interventions. An approach is used drawing on a range of therapy modes such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and interpersonal therapy (amongst others).
Benefits of Psychological Treatment
We can help you to:
- learn the skills to improve existing relationships and create new relationships
- learn how to form more satisfying relationships – ones that are based on mutual respect and trust, where personal boundaries are not violated, that are free of power struggles, not based on dependency needs, and are reciprocal
- improve communication skills – learn how to be more open and direct
- learn how to handle and resolve conflict or disagreements in a more effective manner
- overcome fears of intimacy and commitment, and increase the level of intimacy
- decide whether a relationship can be improved or needs to end
- handle the ending of a relationship – strengthen your coping skills
- improve your sense of self so that you can believe that you deserve to have good and loving relationships.
How we can help
- enrich your life by learning how to develop loving and satisfying relationships
- improve communication skills
- resolve relationship conflicts more constructively
- change beliefs and behaviours affecting your relationship
- strengthen your sense of self
- overcome obstacles to good relationships, such as fear of intimacy or a fear of commitment
- improve your ability to cope with the ending of a relationship
Call 0409 415 323
Relationship Psychologist Adelaide
Call us to commence relationship counselling with a psychologist, and to begin developing more satisfying, enriching, and loving relationships.