Family of Origin Issues
Growing up, did you feel unloved, rejected, lonely, unsafe, or inadequate?
Did you grow up in a biological or adoptive family where:
- your parents were critical, or their expectations were unrealistically high?
- you witnessed or were subjected to domestic violence?
- you experienced childhood abuse (physical, emotional, mental, verbal, or sexual abuse) and/or neglect? (Abuse can include parents who were overly strict, controlling, too protective, or over-indulgent).
- one parent (or both) was alcohol or drug dependent?
- you lost a parent through death or you had an ‘absent’ parent?
- your parents divorced and/or you grew up in a step-family?
- you had a mentally ill parent?
- you blamed yourself for the family problems and/or felt shame?
- you were placed in a role of meeting your parents’ needs?
Psychological Treatment for Family of Origin Issues
The family in which we grow up has a major influence on our development. Being raised in a family environment where you lived through many of the above situations can affect your adult life. Some long term effects can include:
- difficulty identifying, managing or expressing your emotions
- a fear of confrontation
- feeling insecure
- a fear of failure or a fear of success
- low self esteem
- poor self worth, shame, or feelings of guilt
- difficulty in your interpersonal relationships such as: a lack of trust in people or trusting the wrong people, fear of intimacy or fear of rejection, abandonment issues, separation anxiety, or forming abusive, depriving, or dependent relationships
- depression or anxiety
- post-traumatic stress
- engaging in self-harming or sabotaging behaviours
- using alcohol or drugs to ‘manage’ painful and distressing feelings
As a Clinical Psychologist with extensive experience in working in this area, I can help you to reduce or overcome the adverse effects of your upbringing, and work with you towards achieving a more rewarding and happier life.
I provide Psychological Therapy (a talking therapy also referred to as psychotherapy) in a safe, supportive and caring environment, utilising a range of evidence-based therapeutic interventions tailored to suit your specific needs. I use an integrative approach and draw on therapy models such as Cognitive-Behavioural, Person-Centered, Humanistic, Psychodynamic, Interpersonal, Trauma, Emotion Focussed, and Mindfulness (amongst others).
Benefits of Treatment for Family of Origin Issues
I can help you to:
- Gain a better understanding of why you behave in specific ways, make particular choices, hold particular beliefs, and experience certain emotions.
- Process emotions and trauma associated with childhood abuse and/or neglect.
- Grieve the losses associated with what you wanted and did not receive growing up.
- Change negative or faulty beliefs and feelings
- Overcome self-destructive or negative patterns of behaviour.
- Improve your self esteem and self worth, and feel more secure within yourself.
- Strengthen your personal boundaries and coping skills.
- Improve your communication skills, and form more satisfying and healthier relationships with family, partners, and friends.
- Come to terms with your past and unresolved trauma.
How we can help
- create a happier life no longer constrained by your upbringing and the past
- improve self-understanding and enhance self-awareness
- process emotions and trauma of childhood abuse or neglect, and reduce level of distress
- break the cycle of self-destructive and negative patterns of behaviour
- improve your self esteem and confidence
- grieve the losses around what you missed out on growing up
- overcome the negative effects of your family upbringing
Call 0409 415 323
PENNY JANIS – PSYCHOLOGIST FAMILY OF ORIGIN
Contact me to begin your journey to a more satisfying and fulfilling life, free from the constraints of your upbringing and the past.
Every word, facial expression, gesture, or action on the part of a parent gives the child some message about self-worth. It is sad that so many parents, don’t realize what messages they are sending.