Family of Origin Issues
Did you grow up feeling unsafe or inadequate? Were you raised in an environment where:
- you were constantly criticised, or had high expectations placed upon you?
- you were neglected or abused? (Abuse can also include being overly strict, controlling, too protective, or over-indulgent).
- you were not emotionally supported?
- you blamed yourself for problems in the family and/or felt shame?
- you were placed in a role of meeting the needs of others?
The family in which we grow up has a major influence on our lives. Some long term effects of the issues outlined above can include:
- difficulty identifying, managing or expressing your emotions
- a fear of confrontation
- feeling insecure
- a fear of failure, or a fear of success
- shame, or feelings of guilt
- a lack of trust in people, or trusting the wrong people
- fear of intimacy, or fear of rejection
It is beneficial to seek psychological assistance to reduce or overcome the effects of your upbringing. Therapy is provided in a safe and supportive way, utilising a range of interventions. An approach is used drawing on therapy modes such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy (amongst others).
Benefits of Psychological Therapy
We can help you to:
- Gain a better understanding of why you behave in specific ways, make particular choices, hold particular beliefs, and experience certain emotions.
- Process the feelings associated with what you wanted and did not receive.
- Overcome self-destructive patterns of behaviour.
- Improve your sense of self, and feel more secure.
- Strengthen your personal boundaries and coping skills.
- Improve your communication skills, and form more satisfying and healthier social connections
- Come to terms with your past
How we can help
- learn how to no longer be constrained by issues from your past
- improve self-understanding and enhance self-awareness
- break the cycle of self-destructive patterns of behaviour
- improve your sense of self
- overcome the effects of your upbringing
Call 0409 415 323
Family of Origin – Psychologist Adelaide
Contact us so that you can work through the impact of your upbringing and learn how to make the changes that will enable you to have a more satisfying life.