Depression robs you of your enjoyment of life and contributes to feelings of hopelessness. Depression also can leave you feeling unmotivated and negative about oneself, the world and the future. Everyone will experience sadness and days when they feel down but that differs greatly from depression, which can be very debilitating, and affect many areas of your life. It is possible to overcome depression with psychological treatment which can be very helpful either on its own, or in conjunction with anti-depressant medication.
The following are associated with symptoms of depression. Do some of these apply to you?
Have you lost interest in activities that you once enjoyed, or fail to derive any pleasure from such activities?
Have you suffered a major disappointment, loss, or significant lifestyle change?
Have you been finding it difficult to function on a daily basis?
Have you experienced some of the following feelings or behavioural changes, which have been present for two weeks or more?
- intense sadness or irritability
- hopelessness, worthlessness or guilt
- loss of confidence in yourself
- lack of motivation and difficulty in carrying out daily tasks
- difficulty in making decisions or concentrating, or problems in remembering things
- fatigue or loss of energy
- sleep disturbance (not sleeping enough or sleeping too much)
- changes in appetite or weight
- withdrawing from people and feeling alone
- suicidal thoughts
Psychological Treatment for Depression
The signs and symptoms of depression, can manifest physically, emotionally, cognitively and behaviourally. As a Clinical Psychologist with extensive experience in working with depression, I can help you to find ways to improve your mood so that you can derive more life satisfaction.
I provide Psychological Therapy (a talking therapy also referred to as psychotherapy) in a safe, supportive and caring environment, utilising a range of evidence-based therapeutic interventions, tailored to suit your specific needs. I use an integrative approach and draw on a range of therapy models such as Cognitive-Behavioural, Person-Centered, Humanistic, Psychodynamic, Interpersonal, Emotion Focussed, and Mindfulness (amongst others).
Benefits of Treatment for Depression
I can help you to:
- gain an understanding of factors which have contributed to you becoming depressed
- process painful and distressing emotions in a safe and caring environment
- change negative thinking patterns and behaviours that contribute to and ‘feed’ depression
- learn strategies to overcome depression
- work through internal conflicts
- strengthen your sense of self and increase self confidence
- strengthen your coping skills to minimise a relapse
How we can help
- overcome depression and derive greater pleasure and joy in life
- understand factors that may have contributed to your depression
- improve self-understanding and enhance self-awareness
- process distressing emotions in a supportive and caring environment
- learn strategies and develop coping skills to improve your mood and prevent future depressive episodes
- change negative or faulty thinking patterns and behaviours that ‘feed’ the depression
- resolve inner conflicts
- identify and strengthen the things that give your life meaning and purpose
Call 0409 415 323
PENNY JANIS – PSYCHOLOGIST DEPRESSION
Contact me to commence the journey towards improving your mood, and gaining more pleasure and enjoyment from life.