Depression robs you of your enjoyment and contributes to feelings of hopelessness. Individuals can feel unmotivated and negative about oneself, the world and the future when they are experiencing depression. Everyone will experience sadness and days when they feel down but that differs greatly from depression, which can be very debilitating. It is possible to overcome depression with psychological treatment, which can be very helpful either on its own, or in conjunction with antidepressant medication.
The following can be associated with symptoms of depression. Do some of these apply to you?
Have you lost interest in activities that you once enjoyed, or fail to derive any pleasure from such activities?
Have you suffered a major disappointment or loss?
Have you been finding it difficult to function on a daily basis?
Have you experienced some of the following feelings or behavioural changes, which have been present for two weeks or more?
- intense sadness or irritability
- hopelessness, worthlessness or guilt
- loss of confidence in yourself
- lack of motivation and difficulty in carrying out daily tasks
- difficulty in making decisions or concentrating, or problems in remembering things
- fatigue or loss of energy
- sleep disturbance (not sleeping enough or sleeping too much)
- changes in appetite or weight
- withdrawing from people and feeling alone
- suicidal thoughts
Psychological Treatment for Depression
The signs and symptoms of depression can manifest physically, emotionally, cognitively and behaviourally. As a psychologist with extensive experience in the treatment of depression, I can help you to find ways to improve your mood so that you can derive more emotional satisfaction and happiness.
I provide psychological therapy for depression in a safe, supportive and caring environment, utilising a range of evidence-based therapeutic interventions, tailored to suit your specific needs. I use an integrative approach and draw on a range of therapy models which include cognitive behaviour therapy (cbt), and interpersonal therapy (amongst others).
Benefits of Psychological Treatment for Depression
I can help you to:
- gain an understanding of factors which have contributed to you becoming depressed
- process painful and distressing emotions in a safe and caring environment
- change negative thinking patterns and behaviours that contribute to and ‘feed’ depression
- learn strategies to overcome depression
- work through internal conflicts
- strengthen your sense of self and increase self confidence
- strengthen your coping skills to minimise a relapse of depression
How we can help
- overcome depression and derive greater pleasure and joy
- understand factors that may have contributed to your depression
- improve self-understanding and enhance self-awareness
- process distressing emotions
- learn strategies and develop coping skills to improve your mood and prevent future depressive episodes
- change negative or faulty thinking patterns and behaviours that ‘feed’ the depression
- resolve inner conflicts
- identify and strengthen the things that give you meaning and purpose
Call 0409 415 323
Penny Janis – Depression Psychologist
Contact me to commence the journey towards improving your mood, and gaining more pleasure and enjoyment.